Saturday 30 December 2023

Bark Mantid from Western Australia

Hi!
Today while I was sweeping my grandmothers porch (we live in a leafy, horse trotting area in Armadale Western Australia) I found this little guy (assuming guy because most praying mantises?? That are male are smaller) he confused at first with the thicker abdomen but as soon as I saw the arms I knew what he was, I’m not sure if the arms are visibly orange near the closer part of the body in the photos but they were in person, I would love to know what he is. Thank you 🙂 

Kind regards
Tahlia 

Dear Tahlia,

You are correct that this is a species of Mantid, and we believe it is a Bark Mantid in the family Amorphoscelidae based on the Brisbane Insect website (http://brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_mantids/Amorphoscelidae.htm).  

In our opinion the shape of the body indicates this is a female and it most closely resembles the Brown-Legged Bark Mantid that is posted to the Brisbane Insect site (http://brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_mantids/BoxerBarkMantid3.htm)

The post Bark Mantid from Western Australia appeared first on What's That Bug?.



No comments:

Post a Comment